Even my faithful assistant Paddy is starting to get fed up with looking for signs of life in our wet seedbeds. Depending on soil type, what we have sown so far is taking anywhere between 3 to 5 weeks to emerge. The hybrid barley, as in the above photo, seems to take longer than the wheat. On the clay cap areas, particularly in the barley, … Continue reading Is there life down there?
Wheat direct drilled into winter linseed stubble on some of the gravel is just starting to poke through the ground. Even on the more friendly soil, we have had problems in fully closing the slot this time. Normally the John Deere 750A drill would be followed up by the ring rolls, but not this year. We have managed to get 80% of our winter barley … Continue reading Green shoots
74 ha of wheat and 91ha of winter barley have been moved from the bag to the soil. I hesitate to use the words drill or sow because that might indicate a successful outcome. A massive compromise better describes the week’s activities, but at least we are making some progress. Not being able to fully close the slot in places and no follow up with … Continue reading On we plod.
The weather forecast was for a much better week. However, apart from a lovely day on Tuesday it failed to deliver. Never the less we have at last been able to make a start. The hybrid winter barley was due to go in the ground in early October, but torrential rain put paid to that. We do have a few fields which are a clay … Continue reading Made a start, but it’s still raining!
The last 25ha of winter linseed to drill has been abandoned. Thanks to the persistent rain it is now too late to get the crop established so that it produces a plant large enough to survive the winter. We still have just over 100ha growing away nicely, but in need of a graminicide to remove barley volunteers. It is interesting to note that the competition … Continue reading Drilling on hold, and irritating fuel problems.
The first fields to be sown with winter linseed are emerging, thanks to the recent rain. So too are the volunteers from the previous winter barley. This field was sown 11 days ago on the 19th September. The barley straw was baled and then the stubble was left for 5 weeks to ensure the meadow broom, that had shed in the previous crop, would not … Continue reading Winter linseed is on the move.
We finished harvest on the 15th August last year, what a difference 12 months makes. Same date and we still have 90ha of wheat to cut along with the spring oats and malting barley, making a total of 250ha left to harvest. I realise we are much better off than many and last year was a one off, but it is still very frustrating. Looking … Continue reading A soggy harvest